At the CrossFit Gymnastics Trainer Course, Coach Tucker or one of his Tier One coaches will delve into basic, intermediate and advanced gymnastics forms in a lecture setting followed by practical application. Skills will be repeated until the student has a full grasp and understanding of how to learn, spot and teach instructed methods safely. Instruction will include how to scale and spot all demonstrated movements for beginners and accomplished athletes.
This is a 2-day interactive course with Q-and-A-style lecture and video presentations, where you and coaches will perform all movements. You will learn how to combine applied forms with gymnastics applications toward basic and advanced static forms. You will develop confidence in the forms and learn to push such fundamentals for personal achievement, as well as how to program such moves for the CrossFit methodology and WODs within CrossFit boxes. Repeated progressions performed by each student will allow you to gain body-weight control and begin your path in gymnastics movement.
Our goal in this course is to aid CrossFitters in using gymnastics for strength development, core control, spatial awareness and WOD progressions. The desired result is that the CrossFit community will become more engaged in using one of the foundational blocks for CrossFit workouts: gymnastics. Handouts and other material will be e-mailed to you prior to the course date.
You will be taught a wide variety of foundational movements and techniques, including these and others:
- Basic strength: development for disadvantaged leverage and basic strength prowess for gymnastics movement.
- Parallette work: handstands, L-sits, stretching, core control, handstand push-ups, scalability of basic and intermediate movements, spotting, range-of-motion/extreme range of motion training.
- Rings: core-training exercises, support work, proper hand placement, L-sits, iron-cross progressions, dislocates, presses, muscle-ups and muscle-up drills, self-spotting techniques, kips, handstands, and conditioning.
- Bar variations: handstands, back levers, skin the cats, L-sit pull-up variations, stretching, kipping swings, spotting techniques, bar muscle-ups, scalability of all movements.
- Handstands: handstand push-ups, handstand forward rolls, balance work, presses to handstands, L-sits to handstands. You will be taught how to spot and scale these foundational elements for WODs and newbies, and you will learn hand placement, core control, strength development, planches (progressions on floor, rings and paralettes).
You only need to bring athletic attire and an adventurous attitude! We look forward to teaching all comers of all skill levels how these foundational gymnastic elements will increase your strength, flexibility and understanding of how gymnastics programming is part of Greg Glassman's vision.
Frequently Asked Questions
#1: Are there any pre-requisites for this course?
No. Anyone can attend; however, to receive a Trainer Certificate for the CrossFit Gymnastics Trainer Course one must hold a valid and current Level 1 Trainer Certificate. If you attend and do not hold a valid and current Level 1 Trainer Certificate, you will be issued a Certificate of Attendance.
#2: What are the requirements for becoming CrossFit Gymanstics Trainer?
The requirements for this credential are stringent, primarily for your protection and the safety of those you train. They are:
- Holding a valid and current CrossFit Level 1 Trainer Certificate
- Course Attendance 100%
- Participation 100%
#3: When will I receive my certificate?
You will receive your certificate at the completion of the seminar.
CrossFit Gymnastics Advanced Trainer Course
This is an extension of the CrossFit Gymnastics Trainer Course that bridges the gap from training to sport. It is grounded in prerequisite strength, safe coaching and technique to produce powerful movement and efficiency in skill work. Attendees are given a global understanding of human movement based in the advanced application of gymnastics training, not only in other areas of CrossFit training but also in human movement in sport and in life.
The GSX facility (located in Fort Worth, Texas) features a wide array of equipment and the required safety nets for training the advanced movements requested by the CrossFit community: in-ground trampolines, overhead suspension gear, ring trainers, matting, ropes, spring floors, rod floors, a tumbling pit, an air track, and indoor and outdoor CrossFit training facilities. The now-legendary Hell's Half Acre will allow for both indoor and outdoor CrossFit activities.
Staff will include USGA coaches, acrobatic specialists and award-winning gymnastic coaches who have competed within the NCAA/USA/British National Teams in the sport of gymnastics. The coaching ratio will be 5:1, giving athletes a chance for a great deal of personal instruction.
This course has been custom developed to allow you to learn the following:
- Acrobatic skills: spatial awareness, body control with dynamic movements.
- Strap work: this is a silk style acrobatic work.
- Balance work: planche, hand balancing, stunting, walking on hands.
- Mushroom work: bucket work and mushroom progressions.
- Tumbling: basic forward rolls to front flips, back flips, back handsprings.
- Trampoline work: fun stuff!
- Gymnastics ring work: performed on a set of USGA rings.
- Bar variations: bar muscle-ups, kipping work, pull-overs.
- Gymnastic pit work: tumbling into the pit, front punches and double front flips (mini-tramp).
Whether you are a novice or accomplished CrossFit athlete, our coaching staff will teach you the necessary skills and drills for applying gymnastics elements to your own workouts and personal goals, but you will also walk away with the knowledge needed to be a better coach. Lectures will cover our current curriculum, with practical sessions as a complement.
All the GSX coaches and head coach Jeff Tucker himself wish to offer you a true Texas welcome as they host a complimentary Saturday-night cowboy brisket and barbecue with all the fixin's!
Prerequisites: You must have completed the CrossFit Level 1 Trainer Course and the CrossFit Gymnastics Trainer Course.